Autumn Is Here – Time to Check in on those Safety Items & Prep for Winter!
It’s that that time of the year again already. It is one of my favorite seasons, especially at the Sky-High Chalet! The views of the leaves changing for many miles, the crisp evenings and the warm days. We may even have a night here or there to go and use ourselves. It is a great time of the year at all of our vacation rentals for different reasons, but I talk about the Chalet a lot because it is the closest to our home.
This week, we started our fall cleanup outside, with trimming the shrubs and perennials back and raking any leaves or debris from the yard. It is also a great time of the year to clean your gutters! I know it’s a pain, but well worth taking the time to do it rather than having ice dam up and leak into your home this winter.
The summer is the busy season here, so we also have been going through and swapping out any worn items, like throw blankets, pillows, bedding, towels etc, for new fresh ones. We are making plans with our housekeepers about scheduling time for a deep clean and also to replace any worn carpets and touch minor dings up around the place.
It is important to check in with your vacation rentals from time to time to see what does need some attention. I know you will lose revenue from a few nights here and there, but like the gutters above it is better than waiting till there is a BIG problem or a bad review. There will be wear and tear in your properties, even if you ask folks to take their shoes off inside, so annually I would recommend doing the little fixes.
In Florida the off season was summer, so that would be when we would drain the pool and do a good once over, along with any repairs to hot tub, docks, AC maintenance and of course any interior things that needed attention.
The biggest things that we are checking on this time of the year for our Northern Properties are:
- Heating system servicing
- Fill and propane/oil tanks
- Chimneys cleaned
- Check smoke detectors and replace batteries
- Service or replace fire extinguishers
- Double check on plowing/snow removal plans
- Clean gutters/flower beds
- Put away patio furniture or cover if not using during winter months
- Cover or put away BBQ grills if not using during winter months
- Do a deep clean of interior
- Replace any damaged or broken items (for example, all of my wine glasses at one of my rentals are mix matched now, so I am replacing with a new set)
- You also want to check in from time to time to your Welcome Book, so that you don’t run out of space in it for guests to share their experiences in it
- Make sure paths to enter properties are well lit
All of these things are essential to keep your vacation rental running at top notch. The goal always is to offer a product in excellence, so that you get great reviews, make more money and keep them coming back!
For more tips check out my Vacation Rental Academy Course, my Book and sign up below to get updates on new Blog posts!
PS – Connect with me on social! IG @christinavandergrift, FB MsChristinaVanDergrift, and LinkedIn